Vijay ProfileMay 29, 2009
Actor Joseph “Vijay” Chandrasekhar was born on June 22, 1974 to famous tamil film producer and director S. A. Chandrasekhar and Shoba Chandrasekhar, a classical and a playback singer. Vijay had a sister named Vidhya Chandrasekhar who died at the age of two.
Vijay did Visual Communications at Loyola College, Chennai. Vijay’s classmates during college are present-day film artistes Surya, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Karthik Raja, and Vishnuvardhan.
Vijay debuted as a lead role actor in the 1992 film Naalaya Theerpu, produced by his father. After a few other films, he co-starred with Vijayakanth in the film Sendhoorapandi. Films like Rasigan, Vishnu, and Deva followed. Vijay co-starred with Sivaji Ganesan in the film Once More, directed by S. A. Chandrasekhar in 1994. In 1995, Vijay was in the lead role in the film Rajavin Parvaiyile which also starred Ajith Kumar, another currently reigning film actor in Tamil cinema.
In 1996 Vijay starred in the Vikraman-directed film Poove Unakkaga. He also starred in Love Today, Priyamudan, as well as Kadhalukku Mariyadhai for which he receive that year’s Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.
Following Thulladha Manamum Thullum, the films Endrendrum Kadhal, Nenjinile, Minsara Kanna and Kannukkul Nilavu failed to meet his previous success. He decided not to commit in films that took a year to release. His next venture was Kushi in 2000 which was followed by films like Priyamanavale, Friends and Badri.
Later on, he starred in Shahjahan, Thamizhan, Youth, and Bagavathi which were followed by Vaseegara, Pudhiya Geethai, and his delayed film Udhaya. The films Thirumalai and Ghilli were released in 2004. Ghilli, directed by Dharani and produced by A. M. Rathnam, it was a remake of the Telugu film Okkadu, and ran for 200 days in theatres in Tamil Nadu. The following year had other releases such as Thirupaachi, Sachein and Sivakasi.
Vijay’s Aathi was released in 2006. In 2007 Pokkiri, directed by Prabhu Deva, was released in 2007 and Vijan recieved an honourary doctorate title from the M. G. R. University. Later that year, Vijay appeared in Azhagiya Thamizh Magan, and for the first time, he appeared in dual roles. His roles in this film, as the antagonist and protagonist, made him to be considered for a Filmfare Best Tamil Actor Award. In 2008, he starred in Kuruvi, again under Dharani’s direction.
The year 2009 started off with the spy and action film Villu, which was directed by Prabhu Deva. The film, which had Vijay in dual roles for the second time in his career, released in January 2009. Vijay will be acting in his next film titled Vettaikkaaran, directed by Babu Sivan, an associate director of Dharani, and produced by AVM Productions, which was launched in February 2009.
Vijay’s romantic drama Kaavalan with with director Siddique was released on 2011 and it was received well by audience with good Box office collections. Following Kavalan Vijay did Velayudham with director by M. Raja which became a box office blockbuster and also it became one of the top grossing films of 2011.
His next film was Nanban which is the Tamil remake of the Bollywood blockbuster 3 Idiots, where he essayed the role played by Aamir Khan in the original. Directed by acclaimed director S. Shankar, it released during the Pongal weekend of 2012 and was a box office blockbuster. Nanban went on to complete 100 days and it is the biggest hit for Vijay till date.
Currently, Vijay is acting in an action-adventure movie Thuppakki directed by A. R. Murugadoss and produced by Kalaipuli S.Dhanu, which will be released for on Diwali 2012.
Vijay got married Sangeetha Sornalingam, of Sri Lankan Tamil descent, on August 25, 1999. They have two children, a son Jason Sanjay born in 2000 in London, and a daughter Divya Saasha born in 2005 in Chennai.
Vijay is the a brand ambassador of Tata DoCoMo, Jos Alukkas and he is the former ambassador of Coca-Cola in India and Chennai Super Kings.
Actor Vijay Awards:
- Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor and the Roja Duke’s Best Actor Award in Kadhalukku Mariyadhai in 1997
- M. G. R. Award for best acting in 2000
- Dinakaran Best Actor Award and the Film Today Best Actor Award for Ghilli in 2004
- Tamil Nadu State Film Special Award for Best Actor for Thirupaachi in 2006
- Vijay was given an Honorary doctorate title in 2007
- Vijay TV Icon of the year Award (2008)
- Vijay TV Favourite Hero Award – Vettaikaaran (2009)
- Edison Award for Best Actor – Velayudham (2011)
- Superstar Rajini Award – Velayudham (2011)
Posted in : Profile
Similar Posts - 90% of Users have seen these posts also
- Vijay Filmography
- Vijay Wins Best Actor Award Winning Photos
- Vijay at Best Actor Award Winning Stills
- Vijay Wins Best Actor Award!
- Vijay Awards 2013 Winners
- Vijay Wins Favourite Hero of the Year Award at Vijay Awards 2013
- Saranya Mohan is Vijayâ€™s Sister in Velayudham
- Siddique’s Bodyguard Remake Will be a Laugh Riot!
- Vijay’s Jilla Getting Ready for Pongal
- Pokkiri Movie Photo Gallery
- Vijay to Start Remake of Bodyguard from April 1
- Ileana To Do Lead Role in 3 Idiots Remake?
- Vijay Wins Favorite Actor award!
- Vijay’s 51st Movie Titled Kavalkaran!
- Jilla First Look From Diwali 2nd November